Following a successful nominations process, voting is now open for the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) Elections 2020.
For the first time this year, nominations for positions on the RTPI’s Regional Management Boards and National Executive Committees were advertised alongside vacancies for the General Assembly and Board of Trustees as part of a more effective and standardised governance process.
Sue Manns, RTPI President says:
“We are delighted with the diverse range of nominations received for all roles. 2020 has been a year of exceptional change. The unexpected challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic meant we quickly had to adapt our business practices to enable digital working whilst at the same time lobbying government to support the profession in their endeavours to keep the planning system functioning effectively.”
“In June, we launched a major campaign, Plan The World We Need, to put planners at the forefront of the debate in imagining and creating a better, fairer, greener and more inclusive world. In England, Scotland and Wales planning and planning systems are top of the agenda as never before.”
“You can help ensure that the RTPI continues to take a leading role in addressing these challenges by voting for those who you feel will bring a mix of skills, knowledge, experience and new ways of thinking to the table and best represent you. There can be no more exciting time to get involved in helping shape the future of the Institute and the profession. Your voice matters now more than ever.”
Following the election for Vice President, Timothy Crawshaw MRTPI, current Chair of the RTPI North East Regional Management Board has been appointed as the RTPI Vice President for 2021. Timothy, who has extensive experience of working both within local government and the consultancy sectors, says:
"I am delighted and honoured to be joining the RTPI Presidential Team and look forward greatly to being President in 2022. This is an exciting and challenging time for the profession and I hope, in my role as President, to engage fully with members and assist the RTPI in getting the message out that planning needs to be front and centre in the recovery, ensuring that our places serve the needs of all parts of society and the planet."
Board of Trustees
- Chair of the Board of Trustees (one vacancy): Elected by the General Assembly
- Chartered Trustees (two vacancies): Elected by the General Assembly
- Chartered Members on the GA (fourteen vacancies): Elected by the Chartered Members: MRTPI and FRTPI
- Student and Licentiate Member on the GA (three vacancies): Elected by the Student/ Licentiate Members
Scottish Executive Committee
- Corporate Members (three vacancies): Elected by the Chartered Members in Scotland only: MRTPI, FRTPI, Retired
- Junior Vice Convenor (one vacancy): Elected by the Chartered Members in Scotland only: MRTPI, FRTPI, Retired
South West Regional Management Board
- GA regional representative (one vacancy): Elected by Members in South West region only
- Junior Vice Chair (one vacancy): Elected by the Chartered Members in South West only: MRTPI FRTPI, Retired
Members are being asked to look out for a letter or email from Mi-Voice, this year’s election provider and cast their vote by 5pm, Wednesday, 23 September.