Skip to main content
Close Menu Open Menu

If you're an employer looking to hire someone from abroad, we have summarised the following information to guide you in the right direction. However, it is also important to check published government advice for any additional requirements or updates to procedures.

The government definition of Town Planning Officers (see SOC10 code 2432) includes local government planning officers, town planners, and town planning consultants.  Town planning is recognised by the Home Office as a “skilled profession”, making town planners eligible to gain a Skilled Worker visa.

If your business or local authority is interested in hiring people through the Skilled Worker Route, you will need to become a visa sponsor. This involves registration and is subject to a fee payable to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Once your organisation is a sponsor, you can hire a skilled worker from abroad and they can apply for a work visa.

In summary

  • You may need to obtain a Sponsorship Licence via application to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). You can apply for your licence via a form provided by UKVI.
  • The job you are planning to advertise for must be suitable ­– in the case of town planners, the profession is on the skilled worker list, so this should not be an issue.
  • You must have someone in your organisation designated to manage the sponsorship.
  • Depending on the size of your organisation, an application will cost £536 or £1,476. The size is determined by annual turnover, worth of assets and number of employees.

You will not need a licence to sponsor certain groups, for example:

  • Irish citizens
  • those with settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • those with indefinite leave to remain in the UK

We hope this is useful information, and would also direct you to the advice for employers from the government here.