Please note there are different apprenticeship systems in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. This page has information about apprenticeships in England. If you are interested in apprenticeships in the other nations, you can find out more:
There are two RTPI apprenticeship pathways:
- Chartered Town Planner - Degree – (Level 7 Masters level) includes an RTPI accredited qualification and professional membership on completion.
- Town Planning Technical Support – (Level 3 Diploma NVQ and BTEC) for a career as an assistant planner or technical officer.
Chartered Town Planner apprenticeship
The Chartered Town Planner degree apprenticeship enables an apprentice to study for an RTPI accredited qualification and undertake work based learning to become a Chartered Town Planner. It can take between 3 and 6 years depending on an apprentices qualifications and experience.
You can find out more about recruiting and supporting a Chartered Town Planner apprentice in our Chartered Town Planner Apprenticeship Employer handbook.
Town Planning Technical Support apprenticeship
The Town Planning Technical Support apprenticeship is designed as a route into support roles including planning assistant or planning technician and can be offered to new or existing staff. It usually takes 2 years as either day-release or block delivery. Please download our brochure.
Once you know you want to employ an apprentice your next step should be to contact a training provider. They can work with you to agree timings, delivery modes and costs. They can also assist in advertising, interviewing and shortlisting candidates.
- Chartered Town Planner Apprenticeship standard
- RTPI job description for Town Planning Technical Support
- Government guidance on the Apprenticeship Levy
- Construction Technical Apprenticeship Framework
- ABBE NVQ diploma in Town Planning Technical Support
- BTEC in Town Planning Technical Support
Selection of apprenticeship employers: