Associate membership is a partial professional qualification, awarded in recognition of achievement and demonstrable involvement in, or engagement with, particular areas of planning. Associate membership therefore indicates that you have achieved a certain level of knowledge and experience in your chosen planning field. Associate Members use the designation AssocRTPI to denote their status. Find out more about the benefits.
Associate membership also provides a pathway to progressing to Chartered Town Planner status via the A-APC.
Membership from £12.92 a month*
- Gain partial qualification and get on the route to Chartered membership.
- Use the post-nominals AssocRTPI and logo to showcase your knowledge and expertise.
- Access networks and discounted events.
- Access RTPI member benefits and services including specific benefits for academics.
Dr Brian Webb, Lecturer in Spatial Planning, Cardiff University
To be eligible to submit your Associate membership application:
- You must have a minimum of 2-7 years' experience engaged with planning (full-time equivalent). The exact amount required varies according to your educational background and qualification, as shown in educational backgroud below.
- Up to 1 year of this experience may have been gained before completing the relevant qualification (for educational backgrounds a-d); the remainder must be gained after the qualification.
a. Planning degree (partially RTPI accredited) - 2 years experience required
b. Planning degree (non-RTPI accredited) - 2 years experience required
c. Non-planning degree - 3 years experience required
d. RTPI Town Planning Technical Support Apprenticeship - 3 years experience required
e. Other - 7 years experience required
What is the Associate membership application?
Candidates for Associate membership must prepare a 4,000 word written submission ( /-10%) demonstrating their experience and how they have developed their competence. There are three parts to the submission:
- Practical Experience Statement
- Professional Competence Statement
- Professional Development Plan
Download the main guidance from our Resource Centre.
There is a £90 assessment fee payable at the time of application. If you are required to resubmit, there is an additional charge of £20 per section (maximum 3 sections). Fees can be paid online or by cheque and are non-refundable.
*Based on UK/ROI pro rata 2020 subscription rate.