The Associate Assessment of Professional Competence (A-APC) is the route to becoming a Chartered Town Planner for those who don't have a fully accredited RTPI qualification. You must be a current Associate Member to apply through this route.
To be eligible to submit your A-APC application:
- You must be a current registered Associate of the RTPI.
- You must have a minimum of 2 years' professional planning experience (full-time equivalent); all of which has been gained whilst registered as an Associate.
What is the A-APC?
Associates must prepare a 7,000 word written submission (+/-10%) demonstrating their experience and how they have developed their competence. There are three parts to the submission:
- Practical Experience Statement (PES)
- Professional Competence Statement (PCS)
- Professional Development Plan (PDP
Download the main guidance from our Resource Centre.
There is a £290 assessment fee payable at the time of application. If you are required to resubmit, there is an additional charge of £30-40 per section (maximum 3 sections). Fees can be paid online or by cheque and are non-refundable.