RTPI Cymru runs a number of events, some in partnership with other organisations. Where possible we will make presentations from these events here and also copies of good practice notes made at any of the events.
Sring Conference 2019: Engaging and Listening for Placemaking
This year's Spring Conference was chaired by Gareth Jones, Head of Planning at Cyngor Gwynedd Council.
Planning Policy Wales (PPW) Edition 10 (December 2018) has been written with the principles of sustainable development at its heart. It emphasises a need for planning to integrate the Wellbeing of Future Generations Act's five ways of working which include involvement and collaboration.
Engagement and listening skills are key to the work of planners in all sector in facilitating these ways of working.
This year's Spring Conference discussed the latest approaches to these skills, providing practical advice and tools to take back to the office.
Presentations from the day are available below
• Tools for Engagement - Jo Hatton Jones, Grasshopper
• Pre-application Guidance - Andrea Kellegher, Turley
• How to engage with the hard to reach and who are they? - Deb Jeffreys, Planning Engagement Officer, Planning Aid Wales
• Tools to promote involvement - Office of the Future Generations Commissioner
• Engaging with Faith Communities - Richard Gale, Cardiff University
• Community Mapping to engage with communities - Hannah Dineen, Vale of Glamorgan Council - see below for further links.
• Social media tools - Will Savage, Snapdragon
Hannah Dineen also highlighted links to further information which may be of interest:
The 2018 Wales Planning Conference was held on Thursday 7 June at the Holland House Hotel, Cardiff. The Value of Planning Toolkit was launched at the Conference.
The RTPI Cymru Spring Conference 2018: 'Solving Wales's Housing Problems – Shaping and Delivering Planning Responses' was held in Llandudno on 8 March.
Presentations available from the day can be found below:
• RTPI Perspectives on Delivering Housing - John Acres, RTPI President
• National Planning Policy for Housing - Neil Hemington, Chief Planner, Welsh Government
• Local Planning Authority Perspective - Andy Roberts, Flintshire County Council
• Private sector delivery: the What and the How - Zoe Aubrey, Barrett Homes
• Rural Housing and finding solutions - Arfon Hughes, Grwp Cynefin