The Institute's Code of Professional Conduct states that members of the Institute must always act with professionalism, competence, honesty, integrity and due care. Complaints against members are taken seriously.
The conduct and disciplinary process
The RTPI only considers complaints against its individual members. Neither the Institute nor its Conduct & Discipline Panel will:
- Review decisions of local planning authorities;
- Investigate allegations of maladministration by a local planning authority or other organisation;
- Consider an issue which would reasonably be dealt with by another disciplinary process, tribunal or court
- Consider an issue which relates to a current planning application or appeal
- Consider any matter that took place more than two years before the date of the complaint.
If you are concerned with local authority practice then you may first want to consider contacting the Local Government Ombudsman. Information on how they deal with planning matters can be found here.
Our process is outlined in a Complaints Procedure and this flowchart of the complaint investigation process.
Please note that the Institute will not investigate vexatious allegations, or issues where no obvious evidence has been provided.
What can the Institute do?
If a member has breached the Code of Professional Conduct the Institute can:
- Warn the member as to their future conduct
- Issue a reprimand
- Suspend their membership (normally up for up to 12 months)
- Terminate their membership
We cannot issue fines, make members pay compensation or require members to take any other actions. Guidance has been adopted which is used by the Panel or Appeal Panel on awarding any sanction.
If I wish to complain, what do I do now?
The RTPI provides a complaints form on which you should provide specific details of your complaint in relation to the professional conduct expected of RTPI Members as set out in the Code. Please download the RTPI Complaint form and use this to submit your complaint. You can use the Fill and Sign tool in Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill the form in electronically.
You must submit this information to the RTPI Member Conduct Service by one of two methods:
- Email: [email protected]
- Write to: 'RTPI Complaints Investigator' at the Institute address
You should include copies of the documents related to your complaint.
Our service deals with complaints and queries regarding standards of practice and ethics. Please note it only operates between 9am - 5pm two days a week, currently Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Any correspondence received out of this period will be actioned by return by the RTPI Complaints Investigator.
RTPI Members seeking advice can contact the service by email or phone 020 7929 8194 during those days and times.