Engage, network and discover more with Young Planners - The RTPI's network to support young planners in their personal and professional development.
Who we are
Northern Ireland Young Planners (NIYP) is a progressive network for young planning professionals and students from across the province. The activities of NIYP are delivered by a small steering group of volunteer members.
What we do
NIYP organise conferences and events that appeal to planners who are in the first ten years of their planning career. We also seek to team up and hold joint events with other related professions including architects, surveyors and solicitors in the planning arena.
The NIYP Committee:
- are a point of contact to young planners in Northern Ireland;
- liaises with the national RTPI Young Planners' Network
- represents Young Planners on the RTPI Northern Ireland Executive Committee
- organises Young Planners events throughout the province
We have previously ran a number of successful events and continually aim to increase the number and variety of events we provide year on year. Such events include:
- L-APC workshop session to assist young planners on achieving full chartered membership;
- Presentations at both local universities of the role, importance and benefit of planning;
- Social and sporting events;
- Seminar talks on topics of interest in planning;
- And many more activities!
Why you should get involved
If you are a planner in full-time education, part-time education, a Student or Licentiate member of the RTPI, a graduate, or a Chartered member of the RTPI within the first ten years of your career, NIYP is here to support you.
What are the benefits of joining the Young Planners’ Group?
- Network with and meet people with similar interests;
- Debate and discuss issues with other young built environment professionals;
- Develop soft skills in leadership and project management to contribute to career progression;
- Build friendships and contacts early in your career;
- Inspire the next generation and promote the profession;
- Provide opportunity for students of built environment degree courses to meet and engage with young professionals.
You can get involved by:
- Contributing an article to the next PlaNIt newsletter;
- Helping the steering group to organise social and CPD events;
- Suggesting ideas and themes for events you’d like to be put on for the network.
Young Planner Representatives
The Chair for Northern Ireland Young Planners is Erin Donaldson
Your NIYP Committee representatives on the RTPI NI Executive Committee are:
- Erin Donaldson, Senior Planner, Turley
- Justin McHenry, Student, Queens University Belfast
- Vacant position
If you are interested in finding out more about local young planner events or becoming a member of the NIYP Committee please contact Julie Sullivan, Administrator, RTPI NI
We are aiming to raise the profile of the network within NI but this will only happen with involvement of our members. If you have any suggestions about events or issues you would like us to raise please do get in touch. The network is always looking for new members and fresh ideas so if you are a young planner and wanting to get involved please reach us through the links below or contact one of your Young Planner representatives listed above.
Membership of the group is free so there is nothing holding you back! Join today