About the Awards
South West Awards for Planning Excellence celebrate projects and people who have helped create exceptional places and improved the lives of those who live and work there; highlighting how planning and planners work to create a safe, healthy and sustainable future.
Winning these prestigious awards is a clear demonstration of quality, and an excellent way to raise the profile of a project, team or individual.
This year the Covid-19 pandemic is having an unprecedented impact on all of us. We are very aware that this is affecting colleagues in differing ways and many are facing an uncertain future with competing demands on their time.
If you would like to enter a project into the Awards but unsure if you can meet the deadline, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the options. We'd very much like to hear about exceptional projects and find a way to celebrate and share the learning from their success.
General entry information
- Free to enter
- Awards open: Monday 4 May 2020
- Entry deadline: 26 June 2020 (extensions to be agreed)
- Results of the 2020 Awards announced in mid-October
- The Award Presentation Ceremony will take place in November/December at a central location.
- Projects Entry Form
- Young Planner of the Year Entry Form
- Check out our handy How to Win guide.
RTPI South West Awards for Planning Excellence are sponsored by
In a fast paced and ever changing planning climate, the SW RTPI Awards for Planning Excellence provides an important opportunity to share and reflect upon what can be achieved, and what is indeed being achieved, by planning professionals and communities across the south west. WYG is proud to sponsor this initiative.
Why should you consider entering?
1. Champion the power of planning at a local level
Our regional Awards for Planning Excellence celebrate planning at its very best; they reward the brightest talent in the profession; the teams, projects and individuals that transform our local economies, environment and communities where we live and work.
2. Professional recognition
Winning, or being shortlisted, is a clear demonstration of your professionalism and high quality work. Judged by your peers, the RTPI Regional Award for Planning Excellence Winner logo is a seal of approval.
Winning, or being shortlisted, is a great way to gain more exposure for you, your teams and your organisation whilst demonstrating the great work you do. The awards celebrate what planning can achieve and are a great opportunity to shine the spotlight on your organisation.
Entrants are also regularly featured as speakers at events, host site visits, included in visits from the RTPI Presidential visits and much more.
4. Recognise and reward your staff
Entering your project or Young Planner colleague into the RTPI Regional Awards is a public way of demonstrating that you recognise the hard work and achievements of the planners on your team. Show your team that your organisation is proud of them and the work they do and celebrate their talent.
The awards process is a great way to reflect on your accomplishments to date, away from the daily pressures of work that can make you forget all you have achieved, and can be an empowering process to go through.
6. National Awards entry
The winners of the RTPI Regional Awards for Planning Excellence 2020 will be automatically entered into the RTPI national Awards for Planning Excellence 2021.
Winning entrants will:
- Receive an award winner’s logo for use on their branding and email signatures, along with a framed certificate and trophy
- Be included in a press release on the RTPI website, shared across social media channels with over 25000 members
- Receive an announcement in the RTPI South West regional e-bulletin and Branchout magazine.
- Be announced on the RTPI South West Twitter feed, to 900 followers
- Overall Winner will be automatically entered into the RTPI national Awards for Planning Excellence 2021.
Shortlisted entrants will:
- Receive an announcement in the RTPI South West regional bulletin
- Be announced on the RTPI South West Twitter feed
- Be displayed on the RTPI South West Awards webpage