Place making is another way to describe town planning. It also links to sustainability. You can use town planning in schools to teach most subjects and key skills. We have curriculum materials to use in primary and secondary schools or for revision.
Our About Planning guide also gives you and your students an introduction to the world of planning.
Town planning and place making covers how:
- we use land and building in towns, cities and the countryside
- people live and work in them
- we decide where homes, jobs, shops and facilities should go
Town planning topics can also help introduce questions about the environment and decision making, debating, written and verbal reasoning skills.
Town planning subjects
- Art and Design
- Tutor time
- Skills based sessions
Download some of our FREE place making resources from RTPI TES.
Please also think about using town planners in the classroom. RTPI Ambassadors can help you:
- Make the curriculum relate to real life projects or jobs
- Help students to gain skills that can help them in their studies
- Raise expectations for students for jobs in planning and the built environment
Town planning case studies on sustainability may also be of interest: