APPG on Housing and PlanningThe All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Housing and Planning exists to provide a forum for parliamentarians to discuss issues arising from housing and planning policy.
The All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Housing and Planning is a group of Westminster parliamentarians (MPs and Lords) chaired by Cllr David Simmonds CBE MP.
Latest from the APPG:
The APPG has published a report on its findings with regards to the Planning for the Future White Paper. Read the APPG's report here
The APPG held its inaugral meeting in the new Parliament
The APPG on Housing and Planning exists to provide a forum for parliamentarians to discuss issues arising from housing and planning policy, primarily the delivery of housing, infrastructure and placemaking via the planning system.
The APPG is chaired by Cllr David Simmonds CBE MP, Conservative Member of Parliament for Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner.
- Elected to Parliament in 2019, David is also a sitting Councillor, as well as a former Deputy Council Leader.
- David previously chaired the LGA's Children and Young People Board (2011-15) and the Improvement and Innovation Board (2015-16)
- In Parliament, David sits on both the Education Select Committee and the Finance Select Committee
Lord Best is a crossbench (non-affiliated) peer and a prominent housing expert.
- Lord Best is one of the foremost housing policy experts in England
- He is Chair the Centre for Social Justice's Housing Commission, and is also the Chair of the Affordable Housing Commission
- Lord Best is Vice President of the LGA, as well as a Vice President of the TCPA
Mark Pawsey MP is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Rugby.
- Mark is a Member of the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Select Committee
- He served on the Housing, Communities and Local Government Select Committee (2010-15)
- Before entering Parliament, Mark was a Councillor and Businessman
Fleur Anderson MP is the Labour Member of Parliament for Putney.
- Fleur is PPS to the Shadow International Development Secretary
- She is a former Councillor and Deputy Leader of the Labour Group
Gagan Mohindra is the Conservative Member of Parliament for South West Hertfordshire.
- Gagan was elected to Parliament in 2019, and is also a sitting Councillor
- In Parliament, Gagan sits on the Public Accounts Committee
- Gagan is also PPS to the Transport Secretary
Andrew Lewer MP is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Northampton South.
- Andrew serves as PPS to the Home Secretary
- He is also Chair of the APPG on SME Housebuilders
- Andrew previously sat on the Housing, Communities and Local Government Select Committee
Karen Buck is the Labour Member of Parliament for Westminster North.
- Karen sat on the former Mayor's Housing Commission and is a member of the London child Poverty Commission
- Karen previously introduced the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation and Liability for Housing Standards) Bill
Jane Hunt MP is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Loughborough.
- Jane is PPS to the Cabinet Office Ministerial Team
- She is also a former Councillor, and was elected to Parliament in 2019
Ben Everitt MP is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Milton Keynes North.
- Ben is a Member of the HCLG Select Committee
- He is also the Chair of the APPG Housing Market and Delivery
Jerome Mayhew MP is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Broadland.
- Jerome was elected in 2019 and is a barrister
- He also sits on the Enviornmental Audit Committtee
Tony Lloyd MP is the Labour Member of Parliament for Rochdale.
- Tony is a former Shadow Housing Minister and was closely involved in the "Northern Powerhouse" agenda
- He is also a former Chair of the Parliamentary Labour Party
Helen Hayes MP is the Labour Member of Parliament for Dulwich and West Norwood.
- Helen is Shadow Cabinet Office Minister, and has previously sat on the HCLG Select Committee
- Helen is a former Town Planner
Paul Howell MP is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Sedgefield.
- Paul is a Member of the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Select Committtee
- He is a former Councillor and Deputy Chair of South Durham Conservatives
Planning for the Future White Paper
The APPG has produced a report with its findings on the topic, available to read here.Addressing the housing affordability crisis means far more than just focusing on unit numbers; equally crucial is what it is we need to be building and where. Our priority must be to build the types of homes people actually need, and the communities in which they want to live.
The RTPI's role with the APPG is to act as Secretariat, providing administration and support to the group. By serving as Secretariat, the RTPI also serves as the Public Enquiry Point for the group, so if you would like to contact the APPG please see the RTPI contact details above.
There are strict Parliamentary procedures governing how APPGs are run, including how the Secretariat must record their support for the APPG. Please see "further information" for a link to the register of interests.