The Licentiate Assessment of Professional Competence (L-APC) is the main route to becoming a Chartered Town Planner for graduates who have completed a fully RTPI accredited qualification. You must be a current Licentiate Member of the RTPI to apply through this route.
To be eligible to submit your L-APC application:
- You must be a current registered Licentiate of the RTPI.
- You must have a minimum of 2 years' professional planning experience (full-time equivalent); at least 1 year of this experience must be gained whilst registered as a Licentiate.
What is the L-APC?
Licentiates must prepare a 5,500 word written submission (+/-10%) demonstrating their experience and how they have developed their competence. There are three parts to the submission:
- Practical Experience Statement
- Professional Competence Statement
- Professional Development Plan
Download the main guidance from our Resource Centre.
There is a £230 assessment fee payable at the time of application. If you are required to resubmit, there is an additional charge of £30 per section (maximum 3 sections). Fees can be paid online or by cheque and are non-refundable.