This page contains general advice for UK planners looking for job opportunities overseas.
- Visit the target country (e.g. study trip, conference) to understand the job market.
- Research the local planning system online for free, or you may want to consider the International Manual of Planning Practice.
- Search the local planning association and enquire about membership and the local job market.
Ways to research the job market online include:
- Large consultancy companies have offices overseas. You may be able to find them on the on-line RTPI Consultants Directory.
- Some examples are listed here: Aecom; Amec Foster Wheeler; Arcadis; Arup; Atkins; Barton Willmore; Bilfinger GVA; Capita Property and Infrastructure Ltd; CBRE; CGMS (part of RPS); Cushman & Wakefield; Deloitte; ERM; Jacobs; Peter Brett Associates; Savills; White Young GreenWSP.
- "Careers" and "work with us" sections of planning consultancies, charities, universities, NGOs and international agencies.
- Websites advertising built environment jobs in international agencies, for example: https://unjobs.org/, https://reliefweb.int/jobs
- National planning association newsletters.
Search volunteering websites for job opportunities in planning. Example list below:
- Voluntary Service Overseas - register via the Engineering and Technical volunteer jobs page.
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Voluntary Services Overseas
- Engineers without Borders
- Architecture for Humanity
- Architecture Sans Frontières UK
RTPI membership abroad
Inform the Subscriptions Department when you change your address: fees for members based abroad are lower. You will need to keep up your CPD while you are away.
If you are a member you can contact the international office [email protected] to make contacts with RTPI members based in the target country.