This page contains general advice for overseas planners looking for job opportunities in the UK and for UK planners looking for job opportunities overseas.
Working Abroad - General advice
- Visit the target country (e.g. study trip, conference) to understand the job market.
- Research the local planning system. Suggested resource: International Manual of Planning Practice
- Search the local planning association and enquire about membership and the local job market.
Large consultancy companies have offices overseas. You can find them on the on-line RTPI Consultants Directory. Some examples are listed below:
Aecom; Amec Foster Wheeler; Arcadis; Arup; Atkins; Barton Willmore; Bilfinger GVA; Capita Property and Infrastructure Ltd; CBRE; CGMS (part of RPS); Cushman & Wakefield; Deloitte; ERM; Jacobs; Peter Brett Associates; Savills; White Young GreenWSP.
- "Careers" and "work with us" sections of planning consultancies, charities, universities, NGOs and international agencies.
- Job sections on national newspapers
- Websites advertising built environment jobs in international agencies: (eg. https://unjobs.org/, https://reliefweb.int/jobs)
- National planning association newsletters can advertise job opportunities (e.g.: New Zealand Planning Institute)
Search volunteering websites for job opportunities in planning. Example list below:
- Voluntary Service Overseas - register via the Engineering and Technical volunteer jobs page.
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Voluntary Services Overseas
- Engineers without Borders
- Architecture for Humanity
- Architecture Sans Frontières UK
RTPI membership abroad
Inform the Subscriptions Department when you change your address: fees for members based abroad are lower. You will need to keep up your CPD while you are away.
If you are a member you can contact the international office [email protected] to make contacts with RTPI members based in the target country.
Working in the UK – General Advice
The RTPI does not provide a job hunting service or visa advice. This is our general advice on how to find work in the UK.
Visit the UK (eg. study trip, conference) to understand the job market (for RTPI conferences and events see here).
- We do not recognise the membership of other national institutes. Becoming an RTPI member can help getting you acquainted with the local planning community and system. Find out more here.
- Research the UK planning systems. Suggested resource: International Manual of Planning Practice (RTPI members have a discount).
Visas and Work Permits
UK Government's Home Office (click here)
Consultancies and Local Authorities
Large consultancy companies have offices across the UK. You can find them on the on-line RTPI Consultants Directory.
Find names and addresses of UK local authorities here: UK Government information website.
- "Careers" or "work with us" sections of planning consultancies and charities.
- RTPI monthly magazine, The Planner: http://jobs.theplanner.co.uk/.
- National newspapers’ job sections (e. g: https://jobs.theguardian.com/; http://independentjobs.independent.co.uk/)
- RTPI accredited universities advertise vacancies.
- Recruitment agencies can assist in locating jobs in local authorities and the private sector.
UK Planning Policy