RTPI Scotland holds an annual conference which looks at topical issues in planning. This year’s RTPI The Scottish Planner Live will be held online.
As thinking turns to a post Covid recovery many planners are asking what it will look like. A focus on a green economy is seen as key to this, but what does this look like and how do we make it happen? This conference will bring together a range of perspectives to explore what they think a green economy should comprise, what is needed to deliver it. It will also look at leading practice in a range of different settings, examine what planners can contribute and what is needed to initiate changes required.
This is event is part of the RTPI’s COP26 programme aiming to highlight the role that planners can play in tackling climate change and achieving net zero carbon targets.
10.00 Welcome and Introduction
Barbara Cummins, Convenor, RTPI Scotland
Tom Arthur MSP, Minister for Public Finance, Planning and Community Wealth
RTPI President’s Address
Wei Yang, President RTPI
11.00 What should a green recovery look like?
Presentations on what a green recovery means and where planning can play a role, followed by discussion:
- Sarah Longlands, Chief Executive, Centre for Local Economic Studies
- Professor Mike Danson, Visiting Professor of School of Government and Public Policy University of Strathclyde and member of Just Transition Group
- Stefanie O'Gorman, Director City Economics, Ramboll
12.15 A Green Recovery for Whom?
Short 5 minute introductions, followed by discussion
- Dr Oliver Escobar, Senior Lecturer in Public Policy at the University of Edinburgh
- Jane Tennant, Strategic Planner, Clydeplan and Member of the Scottish Young Planner’s Steering Group
- More to be confirmed
12.55 Announcement of Scottish Young Planner of the Year
13.45 Making it Happen: How can we instigate change?
Panel session asking what needs to change and how.
- Pam Ewen, Chief Planning Officer, Fife Council and Chair, Heads of Planning Scotland - confirmed
- Stephen Ottewell, Director of Planning, Capita
- Kevin Robertson, Chair, Scottish Property Federation
15.05 Making it Happen in different settings
Presentations, followed by discussion
- Martin Elliot, Director of Strategic Planning, Leeds City Council
- Jim Miller, Head of Planning, North Ayrshire Council
- Debbie Mackay, Director of Planning, Savills
16.10 Summing Up and lessons for COP26, NPF4 and the Climate Change Plan
Victoria Hills, Chief Executive, RTPI
16.30 Close and departures