This scholarship programme, commemorating the work of former RTPI President Michael Welbank MBE, is open to students on accredited undergraduate degrees at London accredited Planning Schools.
The aim of the scholarship is to encourage diverse talent into the profession and in doing so, support the development of a rich pipeline of planners for the future.
We welcome applications from all underrepresented groups and backgrounds, in particular, applications from students of Asian, African heritage, minority communities and/or are disabled. We also invite applications from those who have enrolled via the university’s widening participation programme.
A single, one-off payment of £2000 will be awarded to one successful recipient from each of the RTPI accredited London Planning Schools
To be eligible for this scholarship applicants must:
- be enrolled on an accredited undergraduate course at a London RTPI-accredited Planning School
- be from an underrepresented group or background or have enrolled at the University via the University’s widening participation programme
- be a UK a national or have the right to work in the UK after graduation
- be a home resident in the London boroughs, and have an interest in planning and sustainability in London (demonstrated in the application form)
- commit to writing on the theme of the challenges facing planning in London with particular reference to design quality which was an area of particular interest to Michael Welbank
- commit to become a student member of the RTPI, if not a member already.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants are expected to demonstrate that they meet the eligibility criteria detailed in the webform as well as clearly articulating in no more than 500 words why they should be considered for the scholarship. Submissions could include reference to a specific project applicants have been actively engaged with either through your course-work or through previous employment/volunteering activity.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Michael Welbank Scholarship 2023.