About the Awards
Our regional Awards for Planning Excellence celebrate projects and people who have helped create exceptional places and improved the lives of those who live and work there; highlighting how planning and planners work to create a safe, healthy and sustainable future.
Winning these prestigious awards is a clear demonstration of quality, and an excellent way to raise the profile of a project, team or individual
Judging has now begun to determine the RTPI South West Awards for Planning Excellence Winner.
On the 16 July, out of 15 diverse entries, the Judges have shortlisted the following projects and Young Planners:
Excellence in Planning Delivery Category
- Swanage Pier Restoration entered by Footprint Futures
- Somerdale entered by Barton Willmore
Excellence in Other Planning Work Category
- Bedminster Green Placemaking Framework entered by Nash Partnership
- Estate Regeneration in Taunton entered by Nash Partnership
- Silverlake entered by Savills
- Southmead Regeneration entered by Nash Partnership
Each project will now partricipate in a site vist / interview. Young Planners will be reviewed by the RTPI SW Regional Management Board. The winners presentation ceremony will take place in November 2019.
News: Young Planner of the Year Winner selected
Karen Phimister, Planning Policy Officer, Swindon Borough Council
"Karen was a passionate, knowledgeable planner who uses her previous non planning experience to help inform and enhance her current planning role. Karens understanding of current legislation, planning changes and understanding of the benefits of community consultation is exemplarily. Karen has a good breath of planning experience and is taking on new challenges which will enhance her understanding of planning and enable her to keep growing personally and professionally. Karen's commitment to learning was also evident as she helped to establish a 'lunch and learn' session.
Overall, Karen is a well-rounded young planner who will be an excellent example to all young planners across the region".
- Free to enter
- Entry deadline: 28 June 2019. 2020 date TBC
Results of the 2019 Awards announced in mid-November
- The Award Presentation Ceremony will take place in November/December at a location related to the Overall Winner.
- Download the entry form here.
- Check out our handy How to Win guide.
- NEW FOR 2019: South West Young Planner of the Year - download an entry form
Awards for Planning Excellence Judging Panel
- Mike Oakley, retired former Avon County Planning Officer (Panel Secretary)
- Geoff Walker, retired former Principal Lecturer in Planning, UWE (Head Judge)
- Mike Kelly, consultant and former Chief Planning Officer, North Devon D.C.
- David Lowin (2017 Panel member) Consultant Lowin Associates and RTPI SW Chair 2017
- Rebecca Randall Senior Planner, White Young Green (Young Planner)
- Sarah Scannell Planning Officer, Poole Borough Council (Young Planner)
- Graham Stephens, Director at Stride Treglown
- Robin Tetlow, Tetlow King Planning
- Jo Widdecombe – Freelance private consultant and Neighbourhood Planning Advisor
- Neal Jillings – Land Place plc
Please get in touch if you would like to become involved. email@example.com 0207 929 8190
The SW Awards for Planning Excellence 2019 are sponsored by Stride Treglown and WYG
"Stride Treglown are delighted to have continued our sponsorship of the SW RTPI Awards for Planning Excellence in 2018. The quality of the diverse submissions was again high and demonstrated the importance of the input of planners in the development process and the ability to influence the delivery of wider tangible community benefits. Building upon the theme of collaboration which was so strong last year, this year the importance of adaptability and proactivity came through strongly. The successful award entries reflect the benefits generated by forward thinking planning practitioners and the importance of communicating complex processes or procedures in a way that delivers economic, social and environmental objectives. Such exemplar projects offer the opportunity for others to share SW best practice across the national arena."
"In a fast paced and ever changing planning climate, the SW RTPI Awards for Planning Excellence provides an important opportunity to share and reflect upon what can be achieved, and what is indeed being achieved, by planning professionals and communities across the south west. WYG is proud to sponsor this initiative. The number, diversity and quality of submissions brought home the commitment of the profession to think outside of the box, maintain momentum and ultimately deliver excellence in the planning field. Congratulations are due to all those involved with the submissions this year, and for the inspiration they may provide for future applicants."