Engage, Network & Discover more with Young Planners
The network to support young planners in their personal and professional development
Do I count as a 'young planner'?
A young planner is any student, licentiate or corporate member of the RTPI with up to 10 years' experience post-qualification.
Make sure you receive the latest news and event information by signing up to the Young Planners' Network
What do young planners do?
We organise events, ranging from CPD sessions and themed seminars to study tours, networking sessions and socials. We also try to arrange regular L-APC sessions to support those in their professional development journey to MRTPI.
Why should you get involved?
- Foster professional relationships
- Network with other professions
- Develop soft skills in project management & leadership
- Contributes to career progression
- Promote Planning
- Inspire the next generation
- Share experiences
- Support L-APC Candidates
- Have fun and socialise with like-minded people.
Would you like to get involved with Young Planners? Watch this video for some inspiration
24 September – Environmental Impact Assessments with LUC, Bristol More information
3 October - L-APC Seminar, UWE, Bristol More information
9 October - Sustainable Transport CPD, Dorset More information
13 November - Winter Social, Bath More information
Dates to note
23 October - Flood Risk and Development CPD, Plymouth
7 November - Winter Social, Bristol
28 November, Christmas Social, Plymouth/Exeter
12 December - Christmas social, Dorset
December - Christmas social, Gloucestershire (location tbc)
January - Women in Planning and Property, Gloucestershire (location tbc)
January/March - Design Review Panel, Bristol
February - Site Visit/CPD, Cornwall
March/April - Waste CPD, Dorset
To register your interest for any of these events please contact email@example.com
South West Young Planners
In its current form, South West Young Planners has been running since May 2011. Since then, the Group has grown massively and new groups have emerged in the region helping to widen the number of Young Planner events accross the region. Young Planners has hosted a number of successful events, including the national Young Planners' Conference in 2014. The main role of the groups is to organise a programme of events throughout the year to help young planners in their personal and professional development, as well as considering and representing the interests of young planners in the RTPI. We aim to hold at a wide variety of events, ranging from CPD sessions and themed seminars, study tours, networking sessions and socials. We also try to arrange regular APC sessions to help those starting and preparing to submit.
Young Planner events are guided by steering groups who meet regularly to organise and discuss future activities. Active groups currently are:
SWYP - West of England Steering Group
- Emily Johnson, Turley –Chair (joint)
- Julie O'Rourke, WYG – Chair (joint)
- Monica Forde – Arup – Co Vice Chair (joint)
- Edmund Mannings – Peter Brett Associates, now part of Stantec – Co Vice Chair (joint)
- Jennifer Joule – Lichfields – Treasurer
- Tamsin Sealy – Arup – Comms coordinator
- Laura Eimermann – Turley
- Lloyd Collins – Planning Potential
- Ellen Fortt – Persimmon
- Isabel Brumwell – Mott Macdonald
SWYP - Gloucestershire Steering Group
SWYP - Devon and Cornwall Steering Group
- Rebecca Miller, Plymouth City Council - Chair
- Opani Mudalige, LRM Planning
- Imogen Day, Cornwall Council
- Keegan Ferreday, Devon County Council
- Beatrice Scott, WYG
- Stuart Walters, Redrow
SWYP - Dorset Steering Group
- Chris Miell, The Planning Inspectorate - Chair
- Carla Fulgoni, The Planning Bureau Ltd - Comms Coordinator
- Rob McDonald, Dorset Council – Secretary
- Hayley Richardson, Terence O'Rourke Ltd - Vice Chair
- Richard Mears, Savills – Treasurer
- Simon Ible, Terence O'Rourke Ltd - General SG Member
- Alex Ha, University of the West of England - Student SG Member
SWYP - Somerset Steering Group
- Stephen Baimbridge, South Somerset District Council - Chair
- Rebecca Randall, WYG - Vice Chair
- Mark Willitts, Environment Agency - Treasurer
Steering groups are run by volunteers and always looking for new members to join. If you have an idea for an event or would like to get involved then please do get in touch.
Get in touch
We'd love to hear from you if you would like to get in touch with us. You can email us via firstname.lastname@example.org Alternately, you can contact us through our various social media avenues, which we regularly update with details of up-coming events:
Twitter Follow us @swyoungplanners
Facebook Join the 'South West Young Planners' group
LinkedIn Join the 'RTPI Young Planners Network' group
If you have an idea for an event please do get in touch either using the contact details above or approaching one of the steering group members. Please email us if you are interested in volunteering.
We look forward to meeting you at a future Young Planners event.