Engage, Network & Discover more with Young Planners
The network to support young planners in their personal and professional development
Do I count as a 'young planner'?
A young planner is any student, licentiate or corporate member of the RTPI with up to 10 years' experience post-qualification.
Make sure you receive the latest news and event information by signing up to the Young Planners' Network
What do young planners do?
We organise events, ranging from CPD sessions and themed seminars to study tours, networking sessions and socials. We also try to arrange regular L-APC sessions to support those in their professional development journey to MRTPI.
Why should you get involved?
- Foster professional relationships
- Network with other professions
- Develop soft skills in project management & leadership
- Contributes to career progression
- Promote Planning
- Inspire the next generation
- Share experiences
- Support L-APC Candidates
- Have fun and socialise with like-minded people.
Would you like to get involved with Young Planners? Watch this video for some inspiration
12 February - The Climate Emergency and Ecosystems, Wimbourne Find out more
26 February - The Design Review Panel, Exeter Find out more
Dates to note
27 February - New Year social, Bristol
Feb/March - Bath Networking Social, Bath
March/April - Design Review Panel, Bristol
March - CPD, Cornwall
April - APC Seminar, Plymouth
May - Sea defences/coastal changes CPD, Weymouth
May - Passivhaus CPD and Site Visit, Exeter
May/June - Historic/Design themed site visit, Bath
July - Coastal Management CPD, Cornwall
June/July - Summer Boat Social, Bristol
July/August - Summer Boat Social, Poole
July/Augurst - Boulles event, Bristol
August/Sept - Tall buildings CPD, Bristol
October - APC Seminar, UWE, Bristol
Sept/Oct - Urban Design CPD, Dorset
Nov/Dec - Christmas Quiz Night, Dorset
To register your interest for any of these events please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
South West Young Planners
In its current form, South West Young Planners has been running since May 2011. Since then, the Group has grown massively and new groups have emerged in the region helping to widen the number of Young Planner events accross the region. Young Planners has hosted a number of successful events, including the national Young Planners' Conference in 2014. The main role of the groups is to organise a programme of events throughout the year to help young planners in their personal and professional development, as well as considering and representing the interests of young planners in the RTPI. We aim to hold at a wide variety of events, ranging from CPD sessions and themed seminars, study tours, networking sessions and socials. We also try to arrange regular APC sessions to help those starting and preparing to submit.
Young Planner events are guided by steering groups who meet regularly to organise and discuss future activities. Active groups currently are:
SWYP - West of England Steering Group
- Emily Johnson, Turley –Chair
- Monica Forde – Arup – Co Vice Chair (joint)
- Edmund Mannings – Peter Brett Associates, now part of Stantec – Co Vice Chair (joint)
- Jennifer Joule – Lichfields – Treasurer
- Tamsin Sealy – Arup – Comms coordinator
- Laura Eimermann – Turley
- Lloyd Collins – Planning Potential
- Ellen Fortt – Persimmon
- Isabel Brumwell – Mott Macdonald
SWYP - Gloucestershire Steering Group
- Chris Moore - Plainview Planning
- Lorelie Davies - Brodie Planning Associates
- Carl Ranscombe - UWE and Evans Jones
- Claudia Jones - Ridge and Partners LLP
- Hollie Snyder - Fowler Architecture & Planning
- Lorraine Brooks - Gloucestershire County Council
- Verity Wood - Bruton Knowles
SWYP - Devon and Cornwall Steering Group
- Keegan Ferreday, Exeter City Council – Chair
- Laura Laius, AECOM – Secretary & Events
- Imogen Day, Cornwall Council - Communications
- Opani Mudalige, LRM Planning – Treasurer/Admin
- Rebecca Miller, Plymouth City Council (Mat Leave) - Advisor
SWYP - Dorset Steering Group
- Carla Fulgoni, The Planning Bureau Ltd - Chair
- Hayley Richardson, Terence O'Rourke Ltd - Vice Chair
- Rob McDonald, Dorset Council – Comms Coordinator
- Chris Miell, The Planning Inspectorate - Treasurer
- Simon Ible, Terence O'Rourke Ltd - Secretary
- Richard Mears, Savills – Secretary
- Philip Saunders, Savills
- Amelia Rose, Dorset Council
- Jess Glover, Pure Town Planning
Steering groups are run by volunteers and always looking for new members to join. If you have an idea for an event or would like to get involved then please do get in touch.
Get in touch
We'd love to hear from you if you would like to get in touch with us. You can email us via email@example.com Alternately, you can contact us through our various social media avenues, which we regularly update with details of up-coming events:
Twitter Follow us @swyoungplanners
Facebook Join the 'South West Young Planners' group
LinkedIn Join the 'RTPI Young Planners Network' group
If you have an idea for an event please do get in touch either using the contact details above or approaching one of the steering group members. Please email us if you are interested in volunteering.
We look forward to meeting you at a future Young Planners event.