The purpose of the Scottish Planning Education Forum is to promote and support high quality education, training and continuing professional development for planners studying and working in Scotland. This will be achieved through joint working, sharing and reviewing good practice, fostering intellectual infrastructure in Scottish Universities and supporting the promotion of planning as career.
Planning educators, employers, professional institutes and other key stakeholders work together to provide high quality and fit for purpose initial planning education and a sustainable and effective approach to graduate development and lifelong learning for planners in Scotland.
The aims of the Scottish Planning Education Forum are:
- to bring planning educators, employers and other key stakeholders together to identify and address matters of mutual interest relating to planning education and lifelong learning for planners
- to champion continuous improvements, promote good practice in planning education in Scotland, and to promote graduate development and lifelong learning for planners working in Scotland
- to support initiatives in addressing needs of planning education and research, graduate development and lifelong learning and the attraction of new entrants into the profession
- to champion the status of planning as an academic discipline in Scottish universities
- to advise on the development and distribution of careers materials in Scotland
- to support course marketing by planning schools in Scotland
- to advise on learning support during APC in Scotland
- to strengthen relations between practice and education in Scotland
- to organise a bi-annual national conference on planning education
The Forum is managed by the Royal Town Planning Institute. This role entails coordination of the activities of the Forum as well as arranging and servicing Forum meetings. The Forum is accountable to itself and works in partnership with relevant organisations to achieve the identified objectives. A Chairperson is appointed by the Royal Town Planning Institute in consultation with members of the Forum. The Chairperson will serve for a two year period.
Members include the core group of Scottish Planning Schools, RTPI, RICS, the Scottish Young Planners' Group, SSDP representing employers in local government, the Scottish Consultants' Forum representing employers in the private sector, the Planning Development Programme and the Scottish Government Directorate of the Built Environment.