Contributing towards effective planning in Northern Ireland
How the changes made to the planning system in Northern Ireland are resulting in better planning: plan making and collaboration
RTPI NI have produced a paper looking at whether the changes made to the planning system since April 2015 are resulting in more effective planning.
the purpose of the paper is to reflect on the impact of some of the changes, in particular the statutory link between the Local Development Plan (LDP) and the Community Plan and the emerging opportunities for cross-council collaboration. It shares best pratice and highlights learning also looking at the development of Shared Environmental Services (SES) and the Lough Neagh Forum. Key points arising from the paper are:
- Work needs to continue to establish the working link (in addition to the statutory link) between the LDP and the Community Plan;
- Continued meaningfull communictaion should be promoted by councils between LDP and Community Plan teams;
- Clarity on how to deal with tensions between the plans, regional planning policy and the aspirations of local visions is required;
- Continued and increaing emphasis should be placed upon Community Planning Partners to deliver commitments;
- There are opportunities to share the Lough Neagh Forum model resulting in further cross-council collaborations in dealing with sensitive and shared assets.
A full copy of the report can be viewed here.
Current policy consultations
RTPI NI is asked to comment on various consultation documents. Members' views on current consultations are valued and always welcome and should be submitted by e-mail to the RTPI Northern Ireland Policy Officer Claire Williamson at email@example.com or by post to Royal Town Planning Institute (NI), PO Box 69, Carrickfergus BT38 8WX
RTPI NI, with the support of the RTPI NI Policy and Research Forum, provides responses to a range of Government consultation documents.
The Northern Ireland Assembly and it's Committies dissolved on 26th January 2017 in preperation for the Northern Ireland ASsembly Elections on 2nd March 2017. Since this time the Northern Ireland Assembly has failed to reconvene. Conseqently the Assembly has published only a limited number of consultation documents for public consideration.
Documents currently being considered are listed below.
Recently submitted consultations
This section is currently being updated. We apologise for any inconvenience.