You can keep abreast of RTPI Ireland activity through our regular e-bulletin or through following us on Twitter at @RTPIIreland
Do you want to sit on a RTPI Ireland Sub Committee?
We are looking for members to sit on our two sub committees in 2019. They meet up to 3 times a year in Dublin.
Policy and Strategy Sub Committee
The Policy and Strategy Subcommittee is to act as an advisory board to the Irish Executive Committee (IEC) on planning policy matters with the following specific remit:
- to implement and review the Planning Policy work plan agreed by the IEC for the year
- to react to Irish planning policy issues as they arise during the year
- to take a proactive approach to anticipating and leading thinking on planning policy in Ireland
- to advise on, and support the development of, research on planning in Ireland
- to promote Irish planning policy issues at a strategic level within the Institute
- to advise and provide support on other policy issues identified by the IEC
The Subcommittee will meet at 6pm on 12 February, 11 June and 8 October.
Education and Lifelomg Learning Subcommittee
The Education and Lifelong Learning Subcommittee is to advise on events, lifelong learning and training needs in Ireland and on internal communication issues for members in Ireland. The Sub Committee aims to advise and assist on:
- the development and delivery of RTPI Ireland's programme of events
- planning education and lifelong learning in Ireland in liaison with the RTPI's Education and Lifelong Learning Committee
- the development and delivery of training and courses in Ireland
- developing support for young planners in Ireland
- exploring the possible establishment of a planning aid service in Ireland
- RTPI Ireland's communications including advising on the design and promotion of events, media relations, and communications with members in Ireland
- other issues in education and lifelong learning identified by the IEC
The Subcommittee will meet at 6pm on 12 March, 17 September and 12 November.
If you wish to sit on either committee please email Catherine Bolster on email@example.com stating which subcommittee you would like to join and including a short CV.
Application for a role to represent the RTPI Ireland at the European Council of Spatial Planners (ECTP-CEU)
RTPI Ireland is seeking a volunteers to represent them at the European Council of Spatial Planners (ECTP-CEU). The ECTP-CEU comprises 25 professional planning institutes from all over Europe. The representatives on the ECTP-CEU for Ireland reports to the Irish Executive Committee as well as feeding into the RTPI International Committee.
The member selected is expected to attend at least two meetings per year in Europe. You are expected to arrange your own travel and accommodation but will be reimbursed by the RTPI in accordance with the Members Expenses Policy.
The representative will be appointed for a two year period, commencing when they take up the role. This can be extended further for a term.
The following are the essential criteria which candidates should demonstrate. In addition to assist selection there are desirable criteria listed thereafter.
- Chartered town planner of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI)
- Demonstrate experience in planning in Ireland with an interest in European planning
- Understanding of the RTPI's membership requirements i.e. the process of becoming a chartered planner and an understanding of the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC)
- Experience in the RTPI's governance arrangements for example membership of an RTPI committee, panel, partnership or advisory board
- Have an understanding of planning issues and the systems used in Ireland
Desirable (some of the following would be helpful):
- European experience such as European funding or research programmes, making representations to the European bodies, membership of European networks
- Experience of working collaboratively with planners in other jurisdictions
- An understanding of the implications of the European Union's (EU) policy on planning in Ireland (for example the EU Directives)
- Experience or demonstrate an understanding of planning education and the requirements for RTPI accreditation of planning schools
The deadline for submission is Friday 15 February 2019. If you would like to apply for this vacancy then please email your CV and a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org