About 1,400 of 25,000 RTPI members are based in over 80 countries around the world. We also accredit planning courses in four universities abroad in Botswana, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We engage with sustainable development via our membership in several international organisations such as the World Urban Campaign and we celebrate World Town Planning Day every 8th November promoting the role of planners in shaping sustainable communities.
We inform members and the public of matters relevant to international planning via our International Development Newsletter.
janet Askew, Chair of the RTPI International Committee alongside
Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Executive Director of UN-Habitat
The RTPI International Committee
The international action of the Institute is guided by our International Committee, composed by RTPI members.
The RTPI International Strategy is based on a commitment to:
- Play our part in achieving a more sustainable world through spatial planning.
- Promote the RTPI as a world leading advocate of the value of planning and planners.
To achieve those aims, the Committee seeks to:
- Focus on the unique contribution that planners make to sustainable development
- Strengthen the outstanding reputation of all the RTPI's activities around the world
- Integrate the RTPI's education and membership work at the international scale
- Develop the RTPI's policy and practice work through research, sharing and lobbying
- Work across these functions with governments and international planning associations
International Committee 2018
Chair: Janet Askew
Vice-Chair: Wei Yang
The RTPI encourages all members to get involved in the Institute's activities. There are a number fo international opportunities which include: