This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best possible experience. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with this. You can find out more about how we use cookies here. If you would like to know more about cookies, or how you can delete them, click here.

Levels of cover

What level of cover do I need?

The RTPI requires the following minimum levels of cover:


Members may wish to discuss their requirements with different brokers, including Howden, and should compare quotes that meet these RTPI requirements.  You may also wish to consider:

  • What is your role in the project?
  • Are you responsible for appointing other professionals on the project? If so, are you liable for any errors that they may make?
  • If an error occurs, what are the likely outcomes and the potential costs involved in rectifying it?
  • Are you required to carry a certain minimum amount of cover by the customer as part of the terms of appointment?

Howden are able to provide you with a professional indemnity policy wording which complies with RTPI requirements, namely:

Scope of cover:

Indemnity for the Insured's Civil liability for claims made during the period of insurance arising from services (including the giving of advice) which are undertaken by members of the Royal Town Planning Institute (or have otherwise been declared to Insurers).

Limit of Indemnity:

Applies on an any one claim basis (in the aggregate during the Period of Insurance in respect of any claim based upon or arising out of or in consequence of or in any way involving seepage pollution or contamination – please note that an 'inner-limit'may apply which will be detailed in your quotation).

Issues to consider

You may also find that particular clients will require you to carry a minimum limit of indemnity under your terms of appointment with them. This can sometimes be disproportionate to the amount or type of work that you would be undertaking for them. It is not uncommon for Local Planning Authorities to require self-employed planning consultants to carry a limit of £2m or more, which often does not take into account the nature of the work being done.

Given the type of issues detailed above, and the fact that premiums for higher limits do not increase in proportion with the increase in cover (a £2m limit will not cost twice as a much as a £1m limit), you might want to consider buying as much cover as you can reasonably afford.  For example RTPI members can choose from the starting point for Professional Indemnity policies available from Howden of £300,000 (above the minimum RTPI limit for £100,000) with higher limits being available.

For further information visit Howden or phone 0117 405 4846.

Howden is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.