This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best possible experience. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with this. You can find out more about how we use cookies here. If you would like to know more about cookies, or how you can delete them, click here.


Any Chartered Member, Legal Member, Legal Associate or Associate can transfer to Retired membership and pay a reduced subscription. You are eligible for Retired membership if you are no longer practising planning or making an income from planning.

Photo - David Barraclough - Retired member.JPG

Member profile

David Barraclough FRTPI(Rtd)

 CPD exemption

Retired members of the RTPI are exempt from the requirement to maintain their Continuing Professional Development (CPD). This means you should no longer practice planning or provide professional planning advice even in the capacity of a volunteer. Retired members can give their personal opinion or comment on a local matter in a personal capacity, for example as a parish councillor or member of a trust or charity. Click here to find out more about the type of advice you can give as a Retired member.

"Since retiring, I have found being a member of my Regional Managment Board particularly rewarding." David Barraclough

Retired Members must always use (Rtd) next to their post-nominals once they retire. For example, retired Chartered Town Planners would use MRTPI (Rtd).


Members must complete an application form to transfer to Retired membership. There is no fee to transfer.


See our subscriptions page for annual rates.  Members can also elect to pay a one-off lifetime membership fee and be exempt from paying a future subscription while they remain a Retired Member.

The Retired Member subscription will be calculated from the date the application is reviewed, not from when you actually retired.  This means that a revised subscription greater than the Retired Member rate could be payable in the year of transfer as you may be paying a higher fee for the first part of the year.

Life members should also be aware that you may still be required to pay a subscription amount in the year of transfer if the transfer takes place part way through the year.

Reinstating to previous membership

If you decide you wish to work again at some point in the future, then you can revert to your previous membership level by completing an application to reinstate . Your subscription will be adjusted accordingly. 

Conversely, if transferring back to the Retired class, you will revert to the same subscription terms as before, e.g. if a life member then you will be exempt.