Associate membership is a partial professional qualification, awarded in recognition of achievement and demonstrable involvement in, or engagement with, particular areas of planning. Associate membership therefore indicates that you have achieved a certain level of knowledge and experience in your chosen planning field. Associate Members use the designation AssocRTPI to denote their status. Find out more about the benefits.
Associate membership also provides a pathway to progressing to Chartered Town Planner status via the A-APC.
To be eligible to submit your Associate membership application:
- You must have a minimum of 2-7 years' experience engaged with planning (full-time equivalent). The exact amount required varies according to your educational background and qualification, as shown in Table 1.
- Up to 1 year of this experience may have been gained before completing the relevant qualification (for educational backgrounds a-d in Table 1); the remainder must be gained after the qualification.
What is the Associate membership application?
Candidates for Associate membership must prepare a 4,000 word written submission (+/-10%) demonstrating their experience and how they have developed their competence. There are three parts to the submission:
- Practical Experience Statement
- Professional Competence Statement
- Professional Development Plan
Download the main guidance from our Resource Centre.
There is a £90 assessment fee payable at the time of application. If you are required to resubmit, there is an additional charge of £20 per section (maximum 3 sections). Fees can be paid online or by cheque and are non-refundable.