As part of the RTPI's UK contact point role until 2014, the ESPON UK Network was intended to act as an "open forum" for researchers and research users who want to share information on UK-relevant developments in both ESPON and related initiatives and to shape the research and dissemination agendas. Network activities included:
- Developing forums for raising and exploring key issues, for UK practice and research, arising from ESPON findings and further research opportunities.
- Providing feedback to ESPON on the practical UK relevance of its research outputs.
- Assisting the Contact Point in alerting ESPON to UK-specific blunders in transnational research proposals and publications.
- Providing a vehicle for dissemination of information, including open calls.
- Providing fora for developing partnerships
- Undertaking surveys and consultations with members to inform and shape the delivery of the ESPON programme and related initiatives.