What is the RTPI Chief Planners of Tomorrow Initiative?
Chief Planners of Tomorrow is a new work-shadowing scheme offering RTPI Young Planners the chance to step into the shoes of a Chief Planning Officer for the day. The aim is to give participants opportunity to:
- Learn from the best - those who currently hold senior leadership roles in Local Authorities/RTPI Learning Partners
- Understand what it's like to be 'at the top table' – the challenges and opportunities
- See how strategic decision making processes are made at top level
The initiative builds on work undertaken by the RTPI to champion good leadership in Planning and to provide our Chief Planners of the future with development opportunities.
How to apply for 2020
We are now seeking applications from RTPI Young Planners. Applications must be received by the closing date of 5.00pm on Friday 10 January 2020. Successful candidates will be notified by Friday 17 January.
Entrants must be in their first ten years of post-qualification experience and be a current member of the RTPI. Participation is subject to the terms and conditions below and applications will be evaluated according to the criteria below and subject to the number of places available. Previous participants may apply, but preference will be given to new candidates.
What is required
- Completed Entry Form
- A current photo (which can be used in marketing and promotion)
Entries will be assessed on how candidates can demonstrate:
- Reasons for wanting to participate (including impact on career
- Your approach to sharing the experience/learnings
- Anticipated outcomes
- Your involvement in Young Planner networks (if any)
Terms and conditions
Participants in the programme will need to make their own travel arrangements. Candidates can select any preferred location, but the RTPI cannot guarantee availability.
Expenses may be claimed for train fares or other travel on public transport up to the value of £50. The participant must cover all over expenses.
Conflicts of interests - the participant will be asked to identify any real or perceived conflicts of interest for their chosen location in advance of their participation being approved.
Interested in finding out more?
Read what this year's participants had to say about their experience
Life at the Top Table - a day as a Chief Planner
A young planner goes behind the scenes
View our Chief Planner of Tomorrow photo gallery
Get in touch to find out more. #FutureChiefPlanners