Tuesday, 02 June 2020 at 9:00AM
Etc venues, Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ, UK
Delegate numbers are restricted to enhance learning outcomes
Public inquiries (whether planning appeals or other inquiries) can put increased pressure and stress on the staff involved, many of whom may have little experience of the inquiry process. At some stage in their careers, most town planners will be required to give evidence at some type of formal hearing where they will be subject to cross-examination by barristers. This masterclass will provide you with the tools and techniques to prepare properly for such a situation.
Through a combination of expert trainer input, discussion and group work, you will:
- Understand the role and duties of expert witnesses;
- Learn how to present your evidence to the best of your ability at the inquiry and deal confidently with cross-examination;
- Gain valuable knowledge to feel confident to prepare and appear at a public inquiry.
Core CPD Framework:
- Ethics and Professionalism
- Championing Planning
- Planning Law and Process
Our trainer - Olivia Spencer
Olivia began her career as a sociologist working first in research for television and then with homeless families. After qualifying as an architect she spent a number of years working on the refurbishment and redevelopment of former local authority estates in London.
She joined the Planning Inspectorate in 2003 and retired last year from a 15 year career as a Planning Inspector having worked on a broad range of appeal types at all levels from written casework to large scale Inquiries. During her time at PINS she was involved in training and supporting new Inspectors as well as providing specialist training on design and heritage.
Past delegates said...
- "She was perfect!!! Olivia made us all feel at ease especially as there was a wide range of individuals with differing levels of experience" Giving evidence at inquiries (13.06.19)
- "Felt it was a very well structured course. The case study/role play scenarios in the afternoon were an excellent way to build understanding of how hearing/inquiries work" Giving evidence at inquiries (27.11.19)
- "Very well delivered course and clearly very experienced and knowledgeable in the subject area" Giving evidence at inquiries (27.11.19)
The RTPI supports the adoption of all 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals and this course specifically supports:
For the concessions rate, you need to be a student, unemployed or retired.
*Early bird price for all training events is 15% off if you book by the end of February 2020*
Please note all training events will be open for registration from 09:00 until 09:30.
All bookings are self-service and if you are a member you will need your membership number and password to login.
If you are having difficulties booking please contact us on 020 7929 8400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There was a problem reserving your event places.
Please contact us using the form below, or refresh the page and try again.
We apologise for any inconvenience.