The President's Special Award recognises long term outstanding achievement in planning. The award is made to a planning organisation, team, office, or individual to recognise their contribution to planning achievement. The award is made at the discretion of the President and is not necessarily given every year as it recognises exceptional achievements.
Our 2018 winners were announced by our Immediate Past President, John Acres, at his valedictory speech on 23 January 2019. The award was given to our national and regional volunteers and was accepted on their behalf by Maria Dunn, 2018 Chair for the West Midlands and former Chair of West Midlands Young Planners.
John said: "Every out-going President, has the honour and the opportunity to make a 'Special Presidential Award' to someone or something which he/she feels deserves particular recognition during his/her year.
"During my year as President, I especially appreciated the energy, enthusiasm and effort of the National and Regional Chairs and other volunteers in guiding me around their Region or Nation and demonstrating those 'achievements and challenges' in their areas. I believe the role of the volunteers in the regions and nations is really important as providing the 'bedrock' of the Institute."
The full list of previous award winners is as follows:
- 2000: Birmingham City Council
- 2001: The Planning Inspectorate
- 2002: No Award
- 2003: The Town & Country Planning Association
- 2004: No Award
- 2005: No Award
- 2006: Planning Magazine
- 2007: The Accredited Planning Schools
- 2008: Planning Summer School
- 2009: The Active Members of the RTPI
- 2010: Commonwealth Association of Planners (CAP)
- 2011: Northern Ireland Planning Service
- 2013/14: The Olympic Delivery Authority and The London Legacy Development Corporation
- 2014/15: Dublin Institute of Technology
- 2015/16: RTPI Young Planners
- 2017: No award