This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best possible experience. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with this. You can find out more about how we use cookies here. If you would like to know more about cookies, or how you can delete them, click here.

Accredited courses FAQs

Selecting the right planning degree for you is a key step in your future career. Use our freqeuntly asked questions and full list of all current accredited courses to find the right path for you.

How do I know if my course is accredited by the RTPI?

The course accreditation status should be communicated to you before you enrol, and should be displayed in the online and published literature from your University. You can also search the full list of all current accredited courses.

What are the entry requirements for an accredited degree?

Each Planning School at each University handles its own entry requirements. You should contact the university directly for information on entry requirements and intakes.

Is a qualification accredited as a specialist Masters enough to become a Chartered Town Planner?

No, not by itself. Students should ensure that they either have a combined qualification, with covers all the requirements for RTPI membership, or that they have both a spatial and specialist qualification.

Is it possible to work and study at the same time?

Yes. Students who undertake part-time or distance learning degrees generally work at the same time as studying for their degree. You should talk to your employer or potential employer, as most part-time degrees will require you to have day release from your work. You will also be expected to undertake independent study towards your degree, and need to be prepared to do so in your own time. Some employers may be able to offer study leave as well as day release for attendance at your Planning School.

Can I use work experience gained before or during my studies to become a Chartered Town Planner?

Yes. You can use experience gained before or during your studies towards your application for Chartered membership. There is one exception to this – students studying a one year combined accredited qualification cannot count experience gained alongside this. Experience gained needs to be relevant to planning and at least 3 months in duration (full-time equivalent). When applying through the Licentiate Assessment of Professional Competence (L-APC), candidates also need to gain at least 12 months experience post-qualification as a Licentiate member (add link:

What are the differences between accredited planning degrees?

Accredited degrees are offered at undergraduate or postgraduate level, and each fully accredited degree or degree package (BSc/BA plus Diploma or Masters) contains elements of core spatial planning as well as an area of specialism. Each Planning School will offer a different range of specialisms, so candidates thinking of beginning an accredited planning degree may want to consider these in relation to their own interests. Other sources of useful information are the University and/or Planning School's website, its prospectus and course brochure.

Which university is best to study planning at?

The RTPI accredits all Planning Schools on an equal level, and does not offer advice on which school might offer a 'better' degree. Potential students should therefore consider all of the elements above in weighing up where they feel they will be able to gain the best study experience and the degree most suited to their interests and requirements.