The RTPI’s much praised work on tackling the shortage of planners and its innovative annual Young Planners conference have both been shortlisted in key categories at The Association Excellence Awards 2016.
These prestigious annual awards recognise individuals, teams and initiatives and highlight excellence in how associations operate and serve their members.
A panel of judges, representing associations from every sector, put the two RTPI award entries through into the finals of their respective categories. The winners will be announced at a ceremony in London on the 26 February.
Janet Askew, President of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI), said:
"I am delighted that the RTPI has been shortlisted for its work on tackling the shortage of town planners. We know that planners make a vital contribution to society and the economy, as our recent research shows. Without planners in local authorities, the country cannot deliver the development it needs to improve living conditions for everyone."
"I am particularly pleased that the work of the RTPI Young Planners has been recognised. Young planners are the future of our profession. They are enthusiastic, energetic and they promote the importance of planning, embracing new members into the profession with their friendly and inclusive events all over the UK.”
Overall, 8 associations and professional bodies will contest the award for the Best Advancement of a Cause and 5 will contest Best Networking Event. The RTPI will be competing with a group of organisations that include The British Medical Association, Society of Editors, and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development for the top award.
I am particularly pleased that the work of the RTPI Young Planners has been recognised. Young planners are the future of our profession. They are enthusiastic, energetic and they promote the importance of planning, embracing new members into the profession with their friendly and inclusive events all over the UK.
The finalists are:
Best Advancement of a Cause
- Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA) Ltd – Self Regulation (ARMA Q)
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) – Youth employment
- Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA) – Diversity
- Royal Town Planning Institute – Tackling the shortage of planners in the UK
- Society of Editors – Campaigning to safeguard and extend media freedom and the public’s right to know
- Sport and Recreation Alliance – The Mental Health Charter for sport and recreation
- The British Medical Association – Junior doctor contracts
- The Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals (CIPP) – credit unions
Best Networking Event
- Association of Medical Research Charities – Bringing together health and medical research charities and the National Institute of Health Research
- British Hospitality Association – Hospitality and Tourism Lobby Day
- Publishing Scotland – The International Fellowship 2015
- Royal Town Planning Institute – Young Planner’s Conference
- Society of Editors – Annual Conference
Get more information:
Read more on our Future Planners Bursary scheme
Find out more about The Association Excellence Awards 2016