RTPI NI is establishing a Policy and Research Forum to respond directly to Northern Ireland planning policy and practice activities and to act as an advisor to the RTPI NI Executive Committee.
It is anticipated that the Forum will play a key role in the work of RTPI NI including:
- Identify and inputting into relevant research;
- Linking into Institute policy and practice research and development generally;
- Developing, supplementing and complementing the Institute's know how;
- To implement and review the NI Planning Policy workplan agreed by the Forum for the year;
- To react to Northern Ireland planning policy issues as they arise during the year, and take a proactive approach to anticipating them;
- To promote Northern Irish planning policy issues beyond Northern Ireland; and
- Developing and promoting policies and guidance to members on issues such as housing, transport, community engagement, urban design, economic development and regeneration.
The Policy Forum's activities will include:
- Leading on the development of planning and related policy, including responding to consultations;
- Promoting the use of research and good practice of planning across Northern Ireland; and
- Supporting the practice of good planning throughout Northern Ireland.
The Forum will input into the general activities of RTPI NI, through those members who sit on the RTPI NI Executive Committee and its work will influence the RTPI NI event programme providing a link between the events delivered and the policy position being developed.
Membership of the Forum is open to RTPI NI members with an interest in any aspect of planning policy and should consist of a range of members covering a broad range of disciplines from across the planning profession. Those interested should apply and will be appointed by the RTPI NI Director and will be expected to sit on the Forum for a three year period.
Initially the forum will meet twice a year with email correspondence in-between with the first meeting anticipated in March 2016. The work programme for the year will be agreed by the Forum at the start of each calendar year.
The Forum will respond to all relevant Government produced consultation documents and where appropriate will respond to invitations to submit evidence as called for by the Northern Ireland Assembly.
The Forum will be supported by RTPI NI Director - Roisin Willmott - and RTPI NI Policy Officer - Claire Williamson - will have the role of Forum secretariat.
We recently invited applications for RTPI NI members to sit on the new Forum. Details of the Forum will be announced shortly. We were seeking members with a range of skills and experiences who will attend and contribute to meetings, contribute to policy development and consultations via email, which will hopefully be an interesting and challenging experience providing valuable CPD hours.