"Laindon Shopping Centre Redevelopment" entered by Swan Housing Association in collaboration with Pollard Thomas Edwards
This proposal is to provide a new vibrant, mixed-use town centre for Laindon including:
- a modern high street lay-out ;
- 25,000 sq. ft. of flexible new retail space and a neighbourhood food store;
- a brand-new Laindon Health Centre;
- new landscaped public space, with the original war memorial retained as a feature of the new high street;
- 86 houses and 138 flats comprising a mix of one, two, three and four bedroom homes;
- a new regional office for Swan with staff relocating from Billericay to Laindon;
- a range of parking spaces for cars, motorbikes, bicycles and disabled and family bays.
The scheme also tackles the existing dual-carriageway and barriers are tamed to create a low speed, pedestrian friendly environment. The residential streets are designed for low speeds, with shared surfaces throughout. Customer parking has been provided along the length of the High Street. The town carpark reflects traditional "market square" parking and is lined with new retail frontages. Residential and non-retail parking is tucked either behind frontages or within the secure podium. Secure cycle parking is adjacent to flat entrances, with further stands in the landscaping. A fly through showing how the plans will look when built can be seen at www.laindonfutures.co.uk .