The RTPI offers three routes to Chartered membership which are all competency based and follow a consistent structure, while allowing candidates with different educational backgrounds and experience to be eligible.
Find out more in our Membership Brochure.
Full information and guidance on the three routes is available online:
Please see our Routes to Membership FAQs for answers to questions you may have about the routes.
If you would like to discuss your membership options (for example, for progressing to another membership class), please contact the Membership Team or phone 020 7929 9494.
Routes to membership changes
In 2016 the RTPI made some changes to its routes to membership, following member consultation. These are summarised below:
- The Special Entry, Reciprocal Arrangements and EU Pathway routes to Chartered membership were closed. They have been replaced by the Experienced Practitioner Assessment of Professional Competence (EP-APC) route.
- The Associate Assessment of Professional Competence (A-APC) route to Chartered membership has been modified, so that there is consistency between the A-APC and EP-APC routes.
- New competencies are now in place for those applying to become an Associate, as well as those applying through the EP-APC and A-APC routes.
- Updated experience requirements are now in place including options for those undertaking the new Town Planning Technical Support Apprenticeship and for those without a degree or other qualification (who will be able to use their additional experience to demonstrate how they meet the required standards).
- The Technical Member class has closed. Future candidates will apply for the Affiliate or Associate classes, depending on experience.
Listen to our podcast about the changes.