The RTPI holds a unique position in relation to planning as a professional membership body, a charity and a learned institute. We have a responsibility to promote the research needs of spatial planning in the UK, Ireland and internationally.
The Institute plays a number of roles in relation to planning research:
- User – drawing on existing research evidence, for example in our Planning Horizons projects
- Disseminator – acting as a 'bridge' between research, policy and practice, for example through our Research briefings
- Researcher – adding to the evidence base through in-house research and policy analysis, for example our Policy papers
- Commissioner – funding and supporting targeted research projects, particularly those of relevance to practitioners and policymakers, for example through our SPIRe programme
- Guider and influencer – promoting a stronger evidence base in planning, for example, through our journal Planning Theory and Practice.
The RTPI also plays a leading role in a European spatial research programme.
Our current research priorities are:
For more information about RTPI research, please contact email@example.com