How do we keep our town centres flourishing - are we doing enough? "This Event will review the economic, social and environmental role of town centres now and into the future".
A variety of speakers from different agencies will provide their own views on:
- Principles of town centre regeneration
- The effect on town centre key traders from changing buying patterns
- The importance of the town centre shopping centres and present threats
- implementing a major town centre scheme - a review
- Responding to the new retail trends and the threats to the town centre
- Legal overview of town centre policy
- case studies will be used to review the role and success of recent policy and local initiatives
- debate and discussion will bring out the concerns and possible solutions for issues surrounding this emotive subject.
09.30 – 10:00 Registration & Refreshments
10:00 – 10:05
Welcome from Chair - David Stovell, David Stovell Millwater, Chartered Town Planners
10.05 – 10:50
Principles of town centre regeneration, Jonathan Boldock, Director of National Retail Planning Forum
10:50 – 11:35
Supermarket Development In Market Towns: Post-Impact Study.
Tessa Barber, Planner, England & Lyle Ltd.
11:35 – 11:50 Refreshments
11:50 – 12:35
The importance of the town centre shopping centres and present threats. Mark Robinson, Director, Ellandi LLP
12:35 – 13:20
Judicial Review of Retail Schemes. Nicola Allan, Barrister, Trinity Chambers
13:20 – 14:05 Lunch (45 mins)
14:05 – 14:50
Responding to the new retail trends and the threats to the town centre. Kevin Parkes, Executive Director of Neighbourhoods and Communities, Middlesbrough Council
14:50 – 15:35
Proactive planning for town centres. Jonathan Wallace, Director, Nathaniel Lichfield and Partners.
15:35 – 16:00 Questions, Chair’s summary and close.
For more information and to reserve a place complete the booking form available from the link below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- n.b. all sections of the booking form must be completed.
The RTPI NE would like to thank Watson Burton for allowing us to host this event at their offices in Newcastle.