I must say the quality of submissions overall was very good and I was delighted to take part in this. Principal Town Planner.
I honestly thought that all the submissions were all fantastic and full of content on issues within their areas. This made it very hard for marking." Senior Planning Consultant.
Young Planner Judges Comments for 2017
This year the students had to get outside and use their knowledge of Geography, Art & Design, Citizenship, Computing, Science and the Environment.
They could choose a street, park, shopping centre or whole town or village and show us how they would make their local place more:
- Inclusive: Planning for everyone, regardless of age, ability, gender or background.
- Resilient: Planning for a place that strengthens our ability to respond and recover from the impacts of climate and demographic change, but also to prepare and plan for them.
- Sustainable: Planning for a place that improves our quality of life without damaging the quality of life of future generations.
The competition linked to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) defined by the United Nations to tackle the world's biggest problems by 2030.
Out of the 120 entries the following six winners were selected:
Age 7-11 category
Age 12-15 category
Age 16-18 category
Congratulations to the following commended entries:
- Haleema Hussain (age 11), from Bradford Girls Grammar School, Bradford
- Woodland View Primary School team A and B – 4JW Team 1 & 4 JW Team 2, Northampton
- Matthew Alwan (Age 12) Bexley Grammar School, London
- Anna van loon (Age 14) North London Collegiate School, London
- Campbell Sharp (Age 12) Haybridge High School and Sixth Form, Worcestershire
- Samee Raza (Age 13) Oaks Park High School, London
- Josh Craig (Age 17) Knutsford Academy, Cheshire
What is World Town Planning Day?
World Town Planning Day is a special day that recognises and promotes the role of planning in creating liveable communities. It is celebrated in 30 countries on four continents.
How can I find out more about being a Town Planner?
As a Town Planner you could make better, more sustainable places for everyone to enjoy. Town planning is a varied career that could see you planning a major development like the Olympic Park, influencing government policy at a local or national level, or protecting buildings and coastlines. To find out more, have a look at our webpages or download our careers brochure.