Planners love to plan! Here are our 18 tips for success in 2018 that will help you get the most out of this year and your RTPI membership, in no particular order:
- Train up – sign up to one of our training courses of CPD events to deepen your understanding of the issues and challenges facing the sector.
- Share your expertise – throughout the year we seek members’ expertise to respond to government consultations and provide evidence to parliament. At the moment we’re seeking feedback on the draft London Plan.
- Save the date – the RTPI Planning Convention is the best attended event of its kind. This year will focus on resilient planning for the future and is unmissable for planning professionals.
- Help shape the Institute’s future – nominating yourself at the annual elections for the RTPI Board and General Assembly is a way to help shape the priorities of your professional body
- Find out what the RTPI thinks – throughout the year we’ll be publishing policy statements, new research, evidence to inquiries, responses to Government consultations and practical advice on a range of planning related issues
- Become an ambassador – demonstrate your passion for the profession by helping to promote it to the next generation of planners in a school near you.
- Celebrate planning excellence – see the exemplary projects from your peers and celebrate their success at the annual Awards for Planning Excellence. There’s excellent networking to be had on the night too
- Influence the political agenda – in September and October we run events at the UK-wide party conferences. They’re an opportunity for the Institute and the profession to shape the way politicians and stakeholders think about planning and its value in society
- Seek a new opportunity – if 2018’s your year to make a move we’ve got advice to help you start your own planning consultancy or find a new opportunity
- Get a friend to subscribe – our quarterly stakeholder briefing keeps people who are not planners up to date with our latest policy and research work. Since planning is at the heart of so many different policy areas, it’s important we continue to grow the number of people who share our ideas and thinking
- Volunteer – not only does it look great on your CV but volunteering through Planning Aid is an opportunity to give back to the profession and the community
- Nominate your favourite place – this year we’re looking for the best place in Ireland, this is the fifth year we’ve run this competition to celebrate the places shaped, protected or enhanced by planners
- Network – getting involved with the RTPI near you will give you lots of opportunities throughout the year to network with other planners and built environment professionals
- Go global – joining the RTPI’s International Development Network is your way to reach out to planners around the world, including the RTPI members spread across over 80 countries
- Learn online – got a spare lunch break or a quiet night in? Use it to start some of our online CPD modules, available for free, on a range of topics like planning for dementia
- Have fun and unwind – through RTPI Plus, members have access to discounted cinema tickets and attractions, reduced gym memberships and travel
- Get into apprenticeships – if you’re an employer think about take on a planning apprentice, or if you’re looking for a pathway into our profession, an apprenticeship might be perfect for you
- Be a bookworm – the RTPI’s Planning Theory and Practice Journal offers an in-depth look at the issues facing the profession. Alternatively, pick up the latest copy of The Planner, the business magazine for planning professionals
Tell us what you’ll be doing in 2018 in the comments section and get cracking – January is almost through!
Josh Rule is Communications and Public Affairs Officer at the RTPI.