Belfast’s rejuvenated historic Cathedral Quarter, the Georgian town of Armagh and the Giant’s Causeway, North Ireland’s only World Heritage Site, are among the best places in Northern Ireland as nominated by the public.
Northern Ireland’s Best Places is a competition run by the RTPI Northern Ireland. It is celebrating some of the most attractive and inspiring places and the role planners have played in helping to protect or shape them for communities across Northern Ireland.
The top 10 best places in Northern Ireland have been whittled down by the Northern Ireland Best Places Judging Panel from nominations from the public.
The finalists are:
- Antrim Historic Town Centre, Antrim and Newtownabbey
- Merville Garden Village, Antrim and Newtownabbey
- Armagh City Historic Town Centre and Cathedrals, Armagh, Banbridge, Craigavon
- Connswater Community Greenway, Belfast
- Cathedral Quarter, Belfast
- Giants Causeway, Causeway Coast and Glens
- Rathlin Island, Causeway Coast and Glens
- Walled City, Guildhall, Peace Bridge and Ebrington, Derry/Londonderry, Derry City and Strabane
- Lough Erne, Fermanagh and Omagh
- Newcastle and the Mourne, Newry, Mourne and Down
The public can now vote for their favourite, which will be crowned Northern Ireland’s Best Place in November.
Beverly Clyde, Chair of RTPI Northern Ireland, said:
“The competition has reminded us of the passion we have for places we love. The finalists, places clearly loved by the public, have been protected, carefully planned or improved by the planning system. I encourage everyone to get behind their favourite place to ensure it wins.”
The voting for Northern Ireland’s Best Place is being launched at this year’s RTPI Northern Ireland Annual Conference in Belfast today. Similar successful competitions were held last year in Wales, England in 2015 and Scotland in 2014.
Voting is open until Friday 20 October. There are 3 easy ways to vote:
- Submit your vote online
- Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tweet your vote for your chosen place, tagging #RTPINIBestPlaces