The Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI), which represents 23,000 planners worldwide working in the private, public, education and charity sectors, and is the membership organisation of professional planners in the UK, has issued a call for evidence on how best to unlock large scale housing development, the first step in a piece of research aiming to suggest practical solutions that would allow communities to meet housing need in their area.
Whilst the research is limited to Scotland and England it is envisaged that it will be of wider use and interest.
Dr Peter Geraghty, RTPI President, “The conventional debate has focused on whether we need more houses: we will be looking at where this should happen and how it is possible to overcome the longer-term structural obstacles and ultimately come up with practical solutions to address housing need.”
The RTPI is asking stakeholders in the built environment to answer the following 7 questions by the 5th July:
- Do you feel that there is a need for large scale (thousands of units) housing developments - as opposed to expanding many areas by a little - and, if so, where in the country would these developments work most effectively?
- Should the focus for large scale development sites be on urban extensions, new separate conurbations or both? What would be the criteria for choosing one over another and does their delivery require different approaches?
- From your knowledge and experience, what has worked well to allow large scale housing delivery? Case study examples are welcome.
- From a planning perspective, what are the most significant barriers to large scale housing development? What are the most important two or three things need to be in place to overcome these barriers?
- What changes to current planning processes and/or legal frameworks would you advocate to boost large scale housing development?
- How large is the 'NIMBY' issue and is it over-stated?
- How important is the process of community engagement? Can you give examples where community engagement has worked effectively in the delivery of large scale housing developments?
Responses should be submitted to email@example.com
There are three aspects to the research that the Institute is carrying out. The RTPI will explore how places that want to expand can do so, how places can deliver housing on a large scale, and will highlight how planners can shape new developments to ensure that they are sustainable and meet long-term housing need.
For more about the project click here.