RTPI Cymru has welcomed the Welsh Assembly's announcement of £2m to improve the delivery of planning services in Wales and the recognition that planning is vital to securing economic recovery, but presses for cross party consensus on its points in Shaping the Future for Wales: Manifesto for Planning.
Anna Prescott, Chair of RTPI Cymru, said:
\"RTPI Cymru welcomes the announcement of money to improve the planning system, but we believe that more can be done on the policy front. In particular, we believe that it is essential that the right infrastructure is in place for development; that all decisions on renewable energy projects should be devolved to Wales; and, that there should be sufficient resources for planning to perform effectively for the long term.\"
The ten recommendations in the manifesto are:
- Promote appreciation of the planning system as an essential tool for society
- Retain Climate change as a key priority
- Retain the Local Development Plan System
- Promote the culture of pro-active planning to enable community wellbeing and sustainable economic growth
- Ensure planning supports sustainable economic growth, for long term benefits
- Review and improve the Wales Spatial Plan to ensure the right infrastructure is in place for development
- Ensure all decisions on renewable energy projects are devolved to Wales
- Improve the health and use of the Welsh language
- Provide resources for planning to perform effectively for the long term
- Retain independent examination of planning decisions and plans
The full manifesto can be downloaded here. (pdf, 508kb)