The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) and The Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) have pledged to work more closely together by launching the new RTPI-CIH Planning for Housing Network at the sixth Annual Housing and Construction Conference on Friday 7th November. Mr John Callcutt CBE, who produced the Independent Review of Housebuilding Delivery, will formally launch the new Network.
By developing the network, the RTPI and CIH are committed to increasing shared understanding between people who are involved in planning for and shaping communities and will provide the opportunity to exchange ideas in order to improve the way we create sustainable and vibrant communities.
Network membership is free and offered UK wide to anyone with an interest in matters around housing and planning for housing. Once joined, members have access to an interactive website, discussion forums and the latest research and updates as well as regular meetings and events in order to develop their knowledge and skills.
Sarah Webb, CIH Chief Executive, said: \"I am delighted to be launching this new Network with the RTPI. This kind of joint working is an exciting step forward in sharing expertise and ideas and developing cross sector skills.\"
Robert Upton, RTPI Secretary General, said: \"I am pleased to announce the long overdue RTPI-CIH Planning for Housing Network as the planning and housing agendas are intrinsically linked and will become more so. There is a great deal of expertise in the membership of the two institutions and the chance to explore this will benefit both parties.\"
Gill Taylor, Chief Executive of the Academy for Sustainable Communities, said: \"We welcome the formation of this new network. Joining forces to share knowledge, develop skills and engineer innovative new ways of working is fundamental in our efforts to create homes and communities that are truly fit for purpose.\"
For further information contact:
Sophie Stapleton, Communications Manager, Royal Town Planning Institute, +44 (0) 20 7929 9479
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) is the professional body for people involved in housing and communities. We are a registered charity and not-for-profit organisation. We have a diverse and growing membership of over 21,000 – both in the public and private sectors – living and working in over 20 countries on five continents across the world. Our members work for local authorities, housing associations, Arms Length Management Organisations, Government bodies, educational establishments and the private sector. Many tenants and residents are also members. We exist to maximise the contribution that housing professionals make to the wellbeing of communities. Further information is available at: www.cih.org.
2. The Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) is a dynamic organisation leading the way in the creation of places that work now and in the future. We understand that just as people develop places, so places develop people. We are committed to the enhancement of our natural and human environment, using spatial planning to manage competing pressures on our built environments and the very real effects on our space. Through our members, we constantly seek to create areas and places in which people want to live and work.
As well as promoting spatial planning, RTPI develops and shapes policy affecting the built environment, works to raise professional standards and supports members through continuous education, training and development.
For further general information, visit the RTPI website at: www.rtpi.org.uk. The RTPI, 41 Botolph Lane, London, EC3R 8DL is a registered charity in England 262865 and Scotland SC037841.
3. The RTPI-CIH Planning for Housing Network is open to anyone who is interested in matters of housing and planning for housing. To join the Network prospective members should go to www.planningforhousing.org.uk or contact email@example.com. The Network will host an interactive website and will offer members the opportunity to join discussions on topics relevant to them, to build relationships and exchange views at events and online with other professionals and keep up to date with the latest policy and practice. The RTPI-CIH Planning for Housing Network replaces ROOMatRTPI.
4. The RTPI-CIH Planning for Housing Network will be launched by John Callcutt CBE on 7 November at the Housing and Construction Conference. The conference is jointly organised by the London branches of the Chartered Institute of Housing, the Royal Town Planning Institute, ROOMatRTPI, the Royal Institute of British Architects, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, the Chartered Institute of Building http://www.cih.org/branches/lon/events/joint-seminar-nov-08.pdf. Members of the media who wish to attend the event should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. To join the Planning for Housing Network visit www.planningforhousing.org.uk.